« 24 | Random Thoughts - News »

January 17, 2006

On MENA Business and Lounsbury Blithering On

Suggestions? I am not feeling inspired by anything in particular, and after deciding playing with data in my excel and blithering on about MENA in a semi-coherent is more interesting than learning to play games, maybe I need a little MENA business comment project.

Posted by The Lounsbury at January 17, 2006 01:31 AM

Comments

Well, since I am still here...

Guestworkers?

SecretDubai linked this on her site: http://www.mafiwasta.com/

Anonymous UAE labour rights activism site. Not average anti-globo drivel though. Note:

Let's get one thing straight - corporations are not to blame for the situation in the UAE. The blame lies almost exclusively with the UAE's government. A corporation's responsibilities are to its shareholders. Put very simply, their job is to maximize revenue and minimize costs, not to save the world. They are part of the world in which we live and, as Philippe Legrain put it in his book 'Open World', "If you find it hard to believe that good can come from seeking profits, consider what would happen if companies didn't try to make a profit. They would soon go bust and the jobs and the products they create would disappear."

SD also mentioned the government's circumspect reaction.

Regardless of whether or not this holds your attention, it is interesting reading.

Posted by: eerie at January 17, 2006 02:30 AM

Actually, I want to write about guestworkers in UAE. Have been thinking about them since Syriana.

Posted by: eerie at January 17, 2006 03:32 AM

not strict business per se, but close:

scummy expat dating in MENA (localXexpat, expatXexpat, touristXexpat, etc)

interesting stuff to see and do in MENA that isnt overrun with moronic tourists and requires some language skills to make happen.

bars, clubs, and other dives of MENA

scummy saudi-owned hotels of MENA

Posted by: drdougfir at January 17, 2006 04:02 AM

Feel free my dear with the guesties, it's not really an area I am that familiar with.

Re my dear Dr. Doug's request.... I am not really the type to comment on dating as it requires either personal commentary that I am allergic to unless made so vague as to be useless, or generalisations which annoy me.

But reflexions on the infrastructure, perhaps I can do that.

And I do seem to recall someone has asked me about this before.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at January 17, 2006 04:42 AM

Actually, some generalizations might be quite illuminating. While not, perhaps, as interesting as the details of your sex life, generalizations on the social mores in MENA and how they vary throughout the region would fill a real knowledge gap. The two stereotypes most people imagine are purda and lebsluts lying in wait for an expat with the correct passport. I'm sure the reality is far more varied, complex and interesting than that.

Posted by: Anonymous at January 17, 2006 05:44 PM

Lebsluts vs. purda? What about the men?

You could avoid some of the allergy by going on about your scummy male friends/bent Agency acquaintances instead.

Posted by: eerie at January 17, 2006 07:59 PM