« Moussaouie | Fans »

February 09, 2006

Progress & Thoughts

Before I disappear into my due diligence, a quick thought on several items.

Re the business of this blog-centre, pleased with the Cartoon issue and our work on this.

Re my normal topic areas, reflecting on how to get back to those. Unfortunately that bit of peronsal information that slips through here rather narrows me down. Restricts what I can say about my own field.

Re progress, new pain meds. Shall see how this works. Also in review last regime, it appears a clerical error had me taking me meds at half the rate that was intended to be prescribed. One should think that would be a significant difference and why last week's bone pain just flattened me. New narcos may may this upcoming week a bit whack, but there it is. Finally, a good item to report, I have nearly full lung performance back. Suggestive of a retreating tumour. Back when this started I could achieve 200 cc at best, normal is 2500 cc. Happy to say I regularly am up in that range without undue strain. The fine tumour may be retreating from the central chest areas, which does rather inhibts its ability to kill me by cutting off blood or air, or both.

Posted by The Lounsbury at February 9, 2006 03:15 PM
Filed Under: Blog Notes - Admin , Perso , Perso Biz Notes

Comments

good to hear tumor is being beaten back.

re: work topics
perhaps you can get a job at FT?

Posted by: drdougfir at February 9, 2006 04:33 PM

Lovely lovely.

Posted by: eerie at February 9, 2006 04:48 PM

Excellent! Most excellent!

snort

I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh but . . . well, when faced with things like this you either have to laugh or cry. Wouldn't you have felt like a damn fool if you'd simply suffered stoically and hadn't called the doc?

Posted by: Anonymous at February 9, 2006 04:56 PM

Also in review last regime, it appears a clerical error had me taking me meds at Half the Rate that was intended to be prescribed. One should think that would be a significant difference and why last week's bone pain just flattened me

Uh, yeah. One would think so. Hope somebody got a good reaming out over that - it's pretty inexcusable IMHO.

But glad to hear that progress has been good.

Posted by: Tamerlane at February 9, 2006 07:32 PM

Eh, happens. Some drone at the pharmacy misread the script. If I got bent out of shape about such things, I would have died of heartburn years ago.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at February 9, 2006 08:15 PM

I should mention the bad news is I have about 2 white blood cells left in me. Any less and ... well gotta go through a boosting session.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at February 9, 2006 08:17 PM

Ah, get ready for more bone pain then.

Still, news is "balance positive", as it were.

Posted by: eerie at February 9, 2006 08:27 PM

See, it should be me saying that, as it's pretty much my motto in life. Someone once complained ( and it was a real complaint, actually ) that if I were any more laid back I'd be in a coma. In fact I didn't get upset when my call button failed the one time I was in intensive care and I spent an hour or two quietly writhing in pain waiting for a nurse to wander by ( course that was just stupidity on my part - I should have made some noise ).

But indulge me my righteous indignation on your part :). Pain scrips are really something that should be double-checked.

Best of luck with the WBCs ( assuming luck has anything to do with it ).

Posted by: Tamerlane at February 9, 2006 08:55 PM

Well, it may be better that the error was one of shortage rather than the other way around - double doses of narcotics could be fun temporarily, but less fun if they killed you or something equally inconvenient.

In any case, glad to hear you are full of...air again, at least warm (if not hot).

Posted by: Eva Luna at February 9, 2006 09:09 PM

The pulmonary functions are fine news. Suggests that the tumor is shrinking, and that maybe the bone pain is due to cancer cells getting whacked.

It won't make you feel better, but clerical mistakes are pathetically common. A study on this made the general news a few months ago. Somebody went back and audited what happened to medication orders in a representative sample from a teaching hospital. It was a few percent, IIRC. Totally unacceptable, although many of the mistakes were harmless changes in dosage of the correct drug.

I don't think this dismal level of performance occurs in, say, commercial banks.

Posted by: Roger Bigod at February 10, 2006 05:04 PM

Indeed, Roger, indeed.

The moment of truth comes with PET.

As to the dismal performance - I think most systems relying on transmission of handwritten orders suffer a serious noise ratio. Scripts clearly fall into that category. In finance, a lot of that has been squeezed out, but one would be suprised what a keypunch error can do. Japanese market recently went bonkers over an odd zero.

Humans are human.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at February 11, 2006 06:21 AM

On the bright side, it looks like the USG is finally making some movelement in that direction. One wonders why it took so long.

Posted by: Eva Luna at February 11, 2006 07:34 PM