« Iraq, Reconstruction Notes [edited] - - Liberal / American Footprints | Fenanine/Fenanat Floozies »

February 02, 2006

The Traditional Monthly Survey blah blah

Every month, by tradition (hmm, three years oldish now, almost qualifies for the word), I have a post pretending to customer or reader service. Opportunity for me to be abusive really. But in any case, the traditional occasion for questions, observations, or to tell me I am an idiotic git.

Posted by The Lounsbury at February 2, 2006 01:43 PM

Comments

Good god - have you really been around that long?

I have no real questions. Except what you consider the long-term effects of the War-on-Denmark may be? Will it all die down, or will there be lasting scars? And does it spell serious gloom for tolerant muslims in Europe?

Posted by: secretdubai at February 2, 2006 03:31 PM

2003 dearie.

Re Denmark, working on a comment on that.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at February 2, 2006 03:48 PM

Are you going to post the New Month blah blah thing on 'Aqoul as well? I only did it in Dec/Jan because you were sick.

Posted by: eerie at February 2, 2006 05:20 PM

I got the hint. Bloody hell. You make one post and then get all demanding. I'm in the mind to form an authors' union.

Well, actually no, too blue collar that.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at February 2, 2006 05:36 PM

I now have an amusing mental image of you sauntering around in an expensive Italian suit with a glass of wine, handwaving and complaining about authors' rights and solidarity.

Of course we all know that I am the epitome of benevolent, consultative autocracy.

Posted by: eerie at February 2, 2006 05:56 PM

a Lounsbury union would be a mighty force to recon with!

i think you need to abuse your readers more often. you've been slipping the last few months.

Posted by: drdougfir at February 2, 2006 06:00 PM

No we wouldn't, far too self-interested even to agree with myself.

I should abuse readers more often, but this bloody pain, it distracts and makes me almost fuzzy.

Why that would be perfect as a representative of the intellectual Left.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at February 2, 2006 06:16 PM

More articles on sartorial splendor!

What does the well-dressed American ex-pat wear while clubbing in Beirut? Or drinking with shady agency buddies and looking shifty in a Tangiers dive? Buying vegetables in the local market in Rabat? At sit-down meeting with shifty rent-seeking local business contacts?

Why Italian suits? What brands? Silk or other? Are 1980's-style blue suits and red "power ties" still preferred by amoral up and coming young executives on the make? Brown suits still a no-no?
Pimp hats and platform soles - making a come back or still not popular in the Gulf?

Enquiring minds, man. Enquiring minds...

Posted by: Tamerlane at February 3, 2006 01:07 AM

Silk is too precious.

Ties should be understated but set off the suit.

Brown suits are unfortunate (in general, always exceptions).

Khalije is all about dishdashes and keffiyes. However the Leb Land execs seem to favour a pimpish look.

Buying veggies in a local market, I personally opt for local wear.

Else, for most meeting purposes, I favour blue suits.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at February 3, 2006 02:51 AM

In re the recent Egyptian ferry disaster...

No commentary necessary on the state of safety regulations, etc. Bloody appalling, clearly. However any comments regarding the possible fallout for the govt? The BBC is reporting very ugly scenes: grief-striken angry relatives, and the govt responding by sending in the riot police! The situation looks quite explosive.

Posted by: duaneg at February 4, 2006 02:30 PM

Hard to say, I don't care much for Egypt (having lived there) and so take as little interest as possible.

As a general matter, however, Egyptians have little confidence in their government (yet have the habit of looking to it for everything), so not surprising that they're pissed off. Not that the gov't seems to have had much to do with this, seems to have been bloody idiotic choices by the privately owned ferry's crew.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at February 5, 2006 04:44 AM