« On April and On Iraq | NYT can do, FT? »

April 02, 2006

The Traditional New Month Note

As usual my traditional new month pretension to customer service.

The one thought here is whether I should make a compilation of my JV partner's observations on the United States. While largely unflattering, there are some amusing anectdotes.

Posted by The Lounsbury at April 2, 2006 06:34 AM

Comments

Absolutely.

Posted by: homais at April 2, 2006 07:56 AM

Definitely! Please compile away.

Posted by: secretdubai at April 2, 2006 08:51 AM

Yeah, compile ugly Americanisms along with Egypt-bashing. It is quite refreshing to read you after being forced to watch two installments of an Egyptian soap opera at my mother in law's in which Fifi Abdou plays a long-suffering Egyptian mother and they keep trotting out anti-Western stereotypes in the dialogue.

Posted by: Anna in Cairo at April 2, 2006 09:28 AM

ya abu l-maal,

DO IT.

please.

--raf*

Posted by: raf* at April 2, 2006 11:46 AM

i beg, i plead, i pine.
puhleeeez.

Posted by: jinnilyyah at April 2, 2006 04:24 PM

your poor JV partner. is the JV still being forced to suffer through american culture or have you released the JV back to natural environs?

Posted by: drdougfir [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 2, 2006 05:59 PM

The American Site Visit is still ongoing and given upcoming FTA talks and the like, I am sure will be much solicited.

Well, I shall see what observations may be culled.

I should also note, that most of the negative observations are with respect to small traits and not grand ones. Oddly my JV partner remains quite pro American in a general sense. However, the summary at the individual level may be rendered as 'well-meaning, friendly over-eating buffoons'

Of course given the cultures....

Posted by: The Lounsbury at April 2, 2006 06:44 PM

Oh, please do elucidate on cross-cultural contact. Sometimes the small observations are even more telling than the large ones.

Posted by: Eva Luna [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 2, 2006 07:13 PM

Goes without saying, but I'd love to read the JV's observations.

Posted by: eerie [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 3, 2006 05:56 AM