« In the futility department: Iraq Investment | Iran & 'Aqoul - Opportunities Lost »

May 11, 2006

A Moussaoui Project: Translating and Comments

Inspired by comments in my very brief comment on Moussaouie, my 'Aqoul colleagues and I have been batting around the idea of actually doing a reverse "Wafa Sultan" project as it were.

However, before trying that, let me see about Lounsbury reader feedback, for all that I am personally reluctant to become unpaid propagandist.

Also, I tried running a search on مايو موساوي to see what I would find via google re commentary, it does seem to me that there really hasn't been much commentary on Moussaoui since sentancing. However, I confess my online search skills bil Arabi suck.

That and my cretins have made my life horrible in the last few days through gratititous stupidity with clients. I frankly am amazed I am able to convince anyone to stick with me. Maybe my clients are stupider than I thought.

Posted by The Lounsbury at May 11, 2006 04:58 AM

Comments

hmmm. I think using "mayo" as a search term shows that a bit of that despised Egypt stay rubbed off on you.

I found lots of commentary on the sentencing itself but also did not know how to construct a search on the recent appeal.

Posted by: Anna_in_Cairo [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 11, 2006 11:00 AM

Maybe 'Moussaoui isti'naf'?

Posted by: Meph at May 11, 2006 04:06 PM

Mayo showing Egyptian influence?

Hardly, it's the spelling used in Eastern publications like Sharg al Awset.

Probably should run Meph's search when I get a chance, but the problem appeared in my prior search that google just was not pulling up recent enough articles (and site searchs at the major papers simply did not work for me, might be me, might be them).

Posted by: The Lounsbury at May 11, 2006 05:30 PM

did you try using news.google.com ?

Those searches are usually updated every few minutes. Don't know how good it is with Arabic language media outlets though.

Posted by: drdougfir [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 11, 2006 05:32 PM

News search on Moussaoui got nothing. Had to run a general search.

I set up some robots in Arabic on Google news several months back, so far the result suggest that Google's Arabic searching is quite poor.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at May 11, 2006 05:36 PM

I, of course, don't think it is really propaganda at all. I think it is an extremely interesting and legitimate story that is unlikely to be covered for a variety of reasons.

This is not agitprop glorifying the American government. It is an insight into the workings of the American system. The U.S. government did everything possible to put Moussaoui to death. Their efforts were defeated by the American legal system and twelve ordinary Americans.

The idea that the current adminstration is not the system and, indeed, that the current adminstration cannot even control the system was profoundly shocking to Mousssaoui. I suspect it would be profoundly shocking to many in the MENA region as well, especially when told in Moussaoui's own words.

I don't think offering an unspun translation of Moussaoui's own statement qualifies as propaganda. It's real news, and it's news that people in MENA deserve to hear.

Posted by: Anonymous at May 11, 2006 07:51 PM

This is quite some time after you put out the suggestion box, but I was amused by the last "A Tiger? In Africa?" post and reader comments on Darfur...Apparently so was the New Republic, for they seem to have dedicated a whole new issue on genocide in Darfur for the sole purpose of pissing you off.

Taking the bait?

Posted by: aegean disclosure at May 11, 2006 09:58 PM

No. I'm busy.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at May 11, 2006 10:12 PM

Lazy scum, even Arabic phrase grunter I can do the translation.

Bismillah al-Rahman ul-Raheem. Ana Zakaria al-Musawi. Ana majnoon. Majnoon kiteer. Shukran.

Posted by: matthew hogan at May 12, 2006 02:46 AM

Well, if you're going to render it that way, should use Maghrebi.

Hamaq. Or Ahmaq. Not Madjoun.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at May 12, 2006 02:56 AM

re ahmaq-
Don't maghrebis use the word majnoon? Because ahmaq in machriqi means idiot, not crazy.

Posted by: Ali K at May 12, 2006 04:39 AM

my roommate was getting called majnoon all the time in Tunisia. then again, he really was crazy.

Posted by: drdougfir [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 12, 2006 05:00 AM

Madjoun is used, but more common in urban slang in my experience is Hamaq and its intensive Ahmaq.

It's used like the English "loon"

Is dialectal variation not great (I still recall my first time to the Machreq - having learned my Arabi in the Maghreb, and tearing into some idiot with a string of foul insults, and getting only puzzlement. My arsenal of insults was useless....).

Finally: Sharg al Awset. I wish to note I am not becoming Bedou.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at May 12, 2006 05:11 AM

As to this

Well, yes....

However, it feels like doing US Gov work for them.

Regardless, I have come to like the idea.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at May 12, 2006 05:15 AM

Because ahmaq in machriqi means idiot, not crazy

Actually, more technically it means quick tempered or belligerent.

Regardless, I have come to like the idea.

Anybody want first refusal? This will probably be more painful than the whole Sultan interview.

Posted by: meph at May 12, 2006 09:54 AM