« NYT & US SWIFT 'spying' prog bis | Islamic Finance - Shipping Fund: Great for the investees, rather doubtful for investors »

July 01, 2006

Faouzet Fransa, Out England

New month and all that but I am far more concerned about World Cup at present. France looked damned good today. Why I may have to pull for them.

Some added notes.

Bloody idiots at the bloody cancer center seem not to have made me key diagnostic test reservation, despite me hounding them. Fucking whinging on about 4 July.

Idiots. Otherwise, we may soon return The Lounsbury to regularly scheduled programming.

Posted by The Lounsbury at July 1, 2006 11:08 PM

Comments

Downtown was nuts today, full of men running around waving French flags.

Rather infectious actually, I nearly went out and bought a Zidane tube top.

Posted by: eerie [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 2, 2006 12:39 AM

Negative play all around. This world cup may be the most boring yet. Just you wait.

Posted by: Ali K at July 2, 2006 01:45 AM

Well, up until now I was only peripherally aware that there was even such a thing as soccer. My boy has been fascinated with the World Cup, though, so we've had a few times with the family all sitting around watching the Spanish-language broadcasts of the games.
Portugal v Netherlands (Paises Bajos, they insisted on calling them. Why?) was like watching hockey on a greensward; hard-hitting, and I remember thinking hmm, I can see why wars are started over this.
That France v Brazil game was great, IMO. In USA basketball, the old-time Knicks used to play great defense, and that was how they won. France was doing the same thing to Brazil. It was a delight. (The refs sucked though, at least to my untrained eyes.)
Now I'm happy that I'm taking vacation next week, so I can watch every game, even though they'll be in the middle of the working day here in the US. Looks like it'll be fun.

Posted by: pantom at July 2, 2006 06:02 PM

That portugal v holland game must have broken some records. 16 yellows and 4 reds. Shame I didn't watch it.

Posted by: Ali K at July 2, 2006 07:04 PM

Negative play, come on man. Now, refereeing, I can see although I suspect it is impossible for sport refs to ever please an audience.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at July 3, 2006 12:15 AM

Concerning negative play, one hopes that Scolari and his Portuguese team will make an exhibition of it against the French - who were tremendously ineffective when THEY had to be in the driver's seat (remember Switzerland and South Korea). I see 1-1 after extra time, with Portugal to go on penalties (their man between the sticks is simply the best on penalties there is in this WC, and Portugal has never lost on penalties, contrary to France). And, of course, Italy should subdue Germany, which would make for Italy-Portugal in final, with the title going to Italy.

Looking back on history, only the Big Four (I exclude Uruguay) - Germany, Argentina, Brazil and Italy have won the WC away from home - so there goes France. No team has won the WC for the first time away from home since Brazil in 1958 - so there goes Portugal. The organising country has an davantage, but this advantage is cancelled since the country with the more attacking style - which is bound to be Germany judging on its WC performance until now - is ritually doomed (unless it's called Brazil) at such levels. I'd go for Italy - last time around Serie A was devastated by a corruption scandal as tentacular as the current one, they went on to win the WC (1982)...

Remember where you first read it...

Posted by: Ibn Kafka at July 3, 2006 01:33 AM

E: you in a tube top?

first it was your friend K, now a tube top. your image is quickly slipping.

Posted by: drdougfir [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 3, 2006 05:16 AM

What? Am I supposed to walk around in black suits all day? Or hooded cloaks?

Posted by: eerie [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 3, 2006 07:00 AM

E: no. a little red dress with hidden dagger (ala Mr. & Mrs. Smith) would be quite fitting. but a tube top with Zidane? where can you hide a weapon in that?

Posted by: drdougfir [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 3, 2006 04:58 PM

dear drdougfir,

to a tube top you'll also have to think pants - and hide the dagger there. also ... even inside a tube-top ... there are ways & places.

c'mon ... use your otherwise oh so fertile imagination!

--raf*

Posted by: raf* at July 5, 2006 12:16 AM

dear raf*

hot pants hardly leave any room for a woman to breathe, let alone hide a dagger!

perhaps E will just have to kill people using her thighs ala the James Bond movie, Diamonds Are Forever (See the Bambi and Thumper scene).

yes, yes. perfect way for E to dispense justice!

Posted by: drdougfir [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 5, 2006 01:17 AM

What on earth does this have to do with France and the World Cup?

Posted by: The Lounsbury at July 5, 2006 01:29 AM

Well clearly I must have uttered some sort of magic word.

Posted by: eerie [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 5, 2006 01:32 AM

L: eerie started it with her tube top comment.

since we're already so far off topic, you might get a kick out of this. http://break.com/index/security_test.html

Posted by: drdougfir [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 5, 2006 01:35 AM

Children, bloody hell, focus.

This is a question of bloody football and very important to my future happiness.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at July 5, 2006 02:26 AM

if you insist, L.

what are your predictions for tomorrow's match and the final?

Posted by: drdougfir [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 5, 2006 03:44 AM

My prediction is that I am going to be in misery.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at July 5, 2006 02:13 PM