« Encore Vivant | Egyptian Committee for Boycotting »

July 02, 2007

New Month, Old Tradition - July 2007 Edition

Afraid I have a deal blowing up right now, and it's one I moved hard, so pro forma, so that I do not miss the tradition another month.

Well, risk-return, management and all that. All beautiful in theory.

Well, I was thinking of making a self-indulgent entry on whether I should address my alcoholism - let's call it what it is after all - but I think perhaps I shall first indulge in my alcoholism, as functional as it is, or perhaps become a heroine addict.

The collapse of this deal after six months of investment of extensive resources, a week or two before closure - true due to external issues on the part of the other side rather than the deal itself - has me bouncing off the walls. Of course, this is a perfect illustration of the issues of risk-return as well as why there needs to be gate keepers. I probably shouldn't have been able to ram-rod this thing through given I knew there was a serious market risk on the counter-party.... but it was a bet. A bad bet, but a bet to hit the numbers.

Hoo. Well, this and another deal looking to go sour really have the stress level up. As well as the hours.

Well, my other Maghreb deal has movement in two weeks, and I spent the weekend revising documentation while seriously fucked up. Oddly it's the only way I can get through the mind-numbing rubbish.

Posted by The Lounsbury at July 2, 2007 12:51 PM

Comments

How stands the efforts of neo-salafist and al Qaida extremists in Morocco and the Mahgreb generally? I have heard that the U.S. has had success cultivating NW African marabouts to resist radical incursion into their localities.

Posted by: zenpundit at July 9, 2007 04:59 AM

They seem to be doing just fine, thank you.

Posted by: alle at July 9, 2007 01:33 PM

I'd be quite interested in the self-indulgent entry on functional alcoholism when you have time for it, fwiw

Posted by: john at July 9, 2007 07:48 PM

I have to say I don't understand this:

US success - mate the Americans haven't the faintest clue as to the actors in the Maghreb, nor who to talk to.

I have no idea who's saying such things, but whoever is a fool - the US part.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at July 10, 2007 04:39 PM

Lounsbury,
Am feeling a little nosy and was wondering if you knew/know Frank Gardener- former Mid East correspondent for the BBC, security correspondent, got shot by Saudi nuts etc.. Anyway, his autobiography (which I'm currently reading) goes into pre-journalism days and it turns out that he was a finance bod in the khaleej with both Saudi Investment Bank and Flemings. It got me thinking that you must of rubbed shoulders at some point, especially as he seemed to revel in the expat lifestyle. Anyway, he's always struck me as a intelligent bloke who does a good job of "security correspondent" without the breathless hysteria which some would treat it.

Not quite sure what the point of that was beyond salacious gossip but my curiosity got the better of me.

Posted by: Abu Dolma at July 15, 2007 11:34 AM

Ya L - I can't do this one justice:

Yet CNBC Arabia, one of the biggest players in the market, sees relatively little to fuss about. “We do not face obstacles in providing coverage,” says Ghani, adding that public figures are actually quite keen to talk with CNBC. “I think it’s a misperception here that companies are not transparent. Business is very much straightforward in the Middle East. There are no Enrons here,” he muses.

Posted by: Tom Scudder at July 15, 2007 01:33 PM

WHAT?

Posted by: The Lounsbury at July 16, 2007 02:28 AM

Tom,

PLEASE turn that into an Aqoul post. It's too good to let it be buried in a comments section.

--MSK*

Posted by: MSK at July 16, 2007 08:45 AM

Posted by: alle at July 20, 2007 02:16 PM

It's a trap.

Posted by: Klaus [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 20, 2007 08:23 PM

Yes, yes, there are people who get upset that I am not all warm, kittens and fuzzy thinking driven by good intentions and poor thinking.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at July 21, 2007 06:44 PM

MSK, on an entirely unrelated note, how do you feel about Badger's penchant for stuff like:

What the Democrats are out to defeat is the Republicans, not the project for control of Iraq. The expression "withdrawal" is merely a cover for re-assigning troops so that the troops themselves are safer; Iraq will still be occupied.

It doesn't sit well with me. First, the way to defeat republicans is to promise withdrawal from Iraq, and I sincerely doubt they would be able to walk away from that in 2009, given US soldiers will keep dying. Second, no point in controlling an Iraq in sectarian chaos, no oil then. Third, it's way too clever for americans (whom I believe have only turned to divide-and-conquer out of desperation), and reeks of conspiracy thinking. You tell me.

Posted by: Klaus [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 21, 2007 09:46 PM