« Idiotic Headline: Turk With Islamic Ties.... | Morocco gets the Millenium Challenge Loot »

September 02, 2007

New Month The September 2007 Edition

It occurs to me that as of August 2007, I have been blogging for 4 years.

This despite an initial hostility to the concept, and lack of any inclination to acquire the technical skills to have a site. After a mere two years of moaning on about livejournal, eerie created this place. All due to an ill considered ban of my own self from a message board 4 years ago sometime in August (or maybe July?).

It also marks by near coincidence two years on a joint venture, and a year of being cancer free.

Posted by The Lounsbury at September 2, 2007 09:09 AM

Comments

Ah yes, seems like only yesterday that I stumbled upon your idle musings on how many potato chips you'd get with your tuna sandwich...

Posted by: eerie at September 2, 2007 04:26 PM

That's the one that got you in?

I do recall my fascination with the variation in chips that I got. Weird also how far I would walk in Schmeisani to get that sandwich.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at September 2, 2007 06:37 PM

Lovely how the advert on the right side is for a waterless composting toilet. It somehow fits so well.

As occasionally happens, I took the advice of a coworker and read Fooled by Randomness authored by Nassim Taleb. Throughout the entire volume I kept getting the eerie feeling that you and he must have had the same primary school English teacher and rhetorical coach. Or is it that all financial types write in the same style?

Posted by: drdougfir [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 2, 2007 08:35 PM

Nassim Taleb is brilliant. As for our educational backgrounds, well of course no comment other than the obvious observation that certain kinds of minds write alike.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at September 2, 2007 10:18 PM

The analysis was excellent, but I stuck around because of your weird little tendencies. Extreme paranoia, strange chip obsession, regularly insulting your readers with great panache, etc. Like a brilliant, highly eccentric spitting cobra.

Posted by: eerie at September 3, 2007 03:56 AM

Well I suppose that means I should buy his Black Swan book then.

While we're on the topic of reading, do you have any recommendations, other than that people should do it more often? I would be quite interested to see your bookshelf.

Congratulations on one year without prolific growth of cellular masses and two of the JV. A year just passed for me with a rather interesting diagnosis. It must feel good to have cheated death via bombing and cancer.

Posted by: drdougfir [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 3, 2007 03:56 AM