« Clarity | Curse of the Dilettantes: celebrity interest in MENA (and other) causes »

November 05, 2007

MENA - Where forward

I have to confess, I am tired. Not of work, that is my passion, but of trying in this small space of communicating something of utility. Now while I enjoy having drinks with al Himma then ranting but having the sensation of having lost direction, I wonder where we should go forward while suggesting that typical blah blah cultural rubbish just doesn't say anything.

Posted by The Lounsbury at November 5, 2007 06:47 PM

Comments

Are you drunk again?

Posted by: Klaus [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 7, 2007 09:51 AM

What "again", I thought it was sort of a continuous state varying only in intensity over the day.

Posted by: matthew hogan at November 7, 2007 05:03 PM

Wow. The deafening silence is kind of making your point, isn't it?

While the larger commentary is certainly interesting, I've always found the more personal vignettes to be the most thought provoking, whether an amusing encounter with a shopkeeper or an odd conversation with some government official. This kind of thing reveals basic truths that get lost in the clash-of-civilizations sorts of discussion. While some of this commentary is available on-line, it tends to be of the I'd-like-to-buy-the-world-a-coke variety. I find your own particular . . . idiom to be a refreshing antidote.

Posted by: Anonymous at November 7, 2007 06:21 PM

Am mulling over the same thing, which is why I've been so quiet. Trying to figure out what people care about - my experiences (regardless of whether or not they are Islam/MENA related), or neutral MENA/Islam analysis?

Re your posts, the personal commentary has always been the most fun to read. However, it is difficult to be personal and not blow one's cover.

Posted by: eerie at November 7, 2007 06:36 PM

Are you drunk again?

Fucking plastered out of me mind. Varying state as Hogan said. Hey, I have come up with some of me best Sukouk ideas while half way to the moon. Mr. Khayam of finance is I.

Brutal schedule this next month. Nose bleed level.

An inhibiting factor since my promo, hard for me to be interesting while not blowing me cool, so to speak.

To write as I did in 2003 would easily ... well inhibit me. Giving any detials now would effectively tell my clients it is me.

It's value subtracting, but there it is.

But this feedback is interesting.

I don't need eyeballs, so to speak, but it is nice to think about some minimal level of customer interest. Of course as Anon (and I believe we know who we are) noted, my particular idiom is perhaps like a strong drink.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at November 7, 2007 07:52 PM

I enjoy it all, but try to keep my comments to a minimum for fear of saying something economically illiterate.

The most meaningful for me are the semi-personal stories that expose the idiosyncrasies of life in MENA and/or life in high finance, things that one wouldn't know without extensive experience and deep understanding about what exactly is going on. One can get top notch analysis out of such stories.

Posted by: Djuha at November 7, 2007 08:56 PM

it's all good for the most part - as a relative MENA naif I'm just looking to kind of absorb a more nuanced perspective on the region through your collective reasonableness, which comes across whether you're writing about personal/anecdotal experiences or lending a more realistic context to the latest news stories. I will say I have a particular and largely unrelated interest in reading more of your thoughts on biodiesel et al, as I've started doing some consulting in this area and the bullshit is packed very high indeed...

that said, I wouldn't come here as often if it weren't for the journals and the more or less purely personal stories of your functional drug abuse (which I find disturbingly inspiring and reassuring), e's variously suited suitors, and Matthew's... puns, etc. personality goes a long way, never unwelcome

Posted by: johnnn at November 8, 2007 01:26 AM

L & e,

Both personal stories and neutral analysis are wanted. Been swamped with work since early summer & now (slowly) gaining breathing space again.

Will hopefully be able to contribute again soon.

--MSK*

Posted by: MSK at November 8, 2007 11:47 AM

Matthias, "breathing space" = out of work?

Posted by: Klaus [TypeKey Profile Page] at November 9, 2007 03:38 PM