« Alive Not Dead | New Month General Open Note »

January 25, 2008

Apologies

I am afraid that the steam is right out of my MENA commentary desires right now. Most items I want to talk about are arcane financial items of such narrow interest that I suspect only pantom would follow - and frankly the whole Iraq etc. circus bores me of late. Gotten right up there with Israel and Palestine....

And of course the non-trivial impacts on personal business due to recent... ahem, interesting developments in the financial sector are eating me up.

On the other hand I got a fat out-of-cycle raise and bonus, over the end of year. Puzzling really, although I did land some big items for them, but were I them I am not sure I would have done the same thing.

Posted by The Lounsbury at January 25, 2008 07:17 PM

Comments

I'd love to hear more on how the interesting developments in the financial sector are impacting on the MENA region. Naturally nearly all of the coverage of the subprime crisis deals with the USA, EU and Far East, so anything to fill in the gap will be appreciated, as your posts on this subject so far certainly have been.

Posted by: Klaus [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 26, 2008 07:28 AM

Am I the only one who is completely amused by the Societe Generale fiasco? If this current job doesn't work out for Lounsbury, he could always become a "rogue trader."

Posted by: Djuha at January 26, 2008 12:57 PM

Well, I am afraid that most of what I might speak to would be business, and for the obvious reasons I am disinclined.

But Sub Prime as such is not heavily impacting MENA in a direct fashion. Indirectly of course the credit crisis is changing investment calculations and people are getting into bunker mode.

Posted by: The Lounsbury at January 26, 2008 01:33 PM

Actually, I was kind of hoping you'd give us an on-the-ground insight into the markets there as well, since John Dizard over at the FT was saying that those markets have taken off, and of course the Arabs are coming with money now and buying up US assets. (Interesting thing is that the Japanese are coming too. First it was the Arabs in the Seventies, then the Japanese in the Eighties. Now both are clambering over the wall. And the Chinese are still buying our "securities". It's going to be fun to see how all this gets spent.)
Believe it or not, I actually did better far as money this year than I did last year. At this rate, I just might be able to get the boy through Hopkins with no debt.
I suspect this has to do with the fact that the software I support is directly related to risk management, I'm the second most knowledgeable person there on that software, and the capo di tutti capos has indicated a lively interest in the whole area and intends to be "hands on". Can't imagine why.

Posted by: pantom at January 26, 2008 10:19 PM

Djuha -- No, not the only one. Jerome Kerviel is my new hero: cheat the system, and cheat it for more than it's worth. If I were him, I'd have some friendly thug in my Paris prison tattoo the number € 73,300,000,000 across my chest.

Posted by: alle at January 29, 2008 02:43 AM